Saturday, May 28, 2011

0 [primusic] Re: ASL questions

 

I know I'm a few months late in response to this post, but maybe it'll help future leaders.

Your best option to to talk to a local Deaf Branch/Ward member. Check out deaflds.org for locations. I'm a leader in Utah, so if you need help at any time, email me.

As for which sign to use in reference to Savior, Christ, Jesus. I jsut use what's in the song. we do a lot of simcom in our branch and it's esier on my brain and I am not changing the words the song artist has been inspiried to use. about 90% of the terms referring to Christ have a sign, so I just use that.

email me with questions,
I'm developing my own ASL interpretation blog hopefully that gets up and running soon!
lepatterson08@gmail.com
Lauren

--- In primusic@yahoogroups.com, "Natalie cantando en Kearns" <nataliegrodgers@...> wrote:
>
> I am very new to ASL, but I want to teach Scripture Power using ASL. I have spent a lot of time today looking up key words. I have used mostly www.aslpro.com and www.signingsavvy.com, as well as two books (ASL dictionaries). Since I am so new to this, I was frustrated to find that translating is not so simple. :) Often I find two or more different ways to sign the same word. Is there any one source that is considered the "most recent" or "most correct"? [I am still deciding which sign to use for change (verb), sword, shield (noun) and power (noun).]
>
> Here are a couple of other questions. The sign for Savior is seen differently if you consult aslpro standard or religious dictionary. The difference is whether you indicate deity first. Do people shorten signs for songs? The longer version of "Savior" is a combination of three signs. Do people interchange Jesus, Christ and Savior when teaching songs?
>
> In the aslpro religious dictionary, scripture and scriptures are signed quite differently. Can someone explain the difference? Can I just use the easy one? :)
>
> Lastly, as a total beginner, I really appreciate those websites or books that give written explanations for signs, especially where it explains that a sign is actually made up of several signs. First of all, it helps me decide if I am using the right word. (Some sites don't even make it clear if the word is a noun or a verb. For example, if I just look up "power", I imagine the sign is different if you are talking about a verb or a noun.) Also, it makes it much easier to learn and will help me explain the signs to the kids.
>
> Any ASL guidance or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> -Natalie in Kearns, UT
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
***************
IMPORTANT LIST INFORMATION:

Try our message board!  http://primusic.proboards.com/index.cgi

To POST a message to this group, send it to:
primusic@yahoogroups.com

To UNSUBSCRIBE, send your request to:
primusic-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

to SUBSCRIBE, send your request to:
primusic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

To access the LIST ARCHIVES, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primusic

To access our supplemental files group, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primusic_files/files/

To contact the list owner for problems with your account, send your message to: primusic-owner@yahoogroups.com

The purpose of this list is to share ideas about Primary Singing Time, let's try to keep on topic please!  Also make sure the subject line of your message accurately reflects what is in the message.
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment