Wednesday, July 20, 2011

0 [Band-in-a-Box] RapidComposer

 

http://www.musicdevelopments.com/index.html

First, I have no financial interest in this program.

Second, while I know this is a BIAB forum, I also know that there are a lot of folks here that are interested in midi composition. That's the main reason I bought BIAB and the reason I follow this forum.

Third, I've tried a lot of other 'autocomposition' software besides BIAB, including competitors like Jammer and Ntonyx and harmony programs like Harmony Navigator, Harmony Assistant and Harmony Improvisator.

They all, including BIAB, have their strengths.

But RapidComposer takes everything to a different level ... and one I find much closer to what I always wished for in a midi composition program.

In a nut shell, when you lay out your composition by chord progressions, you can add as many midi tracks as you want ... up to at least the basic 16 (I haven't tested beyond that). Then you have a library of musical phrases that you can also edit or add to by importing sections from existing midi files. There are special ones for chords, basslines, etc. You can also 'plastically' change these phrases once they are in the composition window without changing the phrase from the library. Basically you drag and drop the phrases on top of the composition tracks. At this point they are not notes, but harmonically correct phrases correctly played in the key or chord of your composition as controlled by that section of the composition. There is a fantastic collection of chords with their harmonic neighbors available in a drop menu to make chord alterations. There are about 25 scales with modal variations of most. You also have controller information easily
editable in the composition window for each track and little macros that do things like change the playback to legato or stacatto or velocity curves, etc, on a 'phrase by phrase' basis. When you get it to sound like you like, you export your composition as a type 1 smf with all your actual notes, controller and patch info, etc, for loading into your DAW.

I am obviously extremely excited about this program. It is a new small company in start up that is doing the advances in midi that I always hoped BIAB would do. Check out the webpage and try the demo.

DF

 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
The Band-in-a-Box Group - tell your friends about us!
____________________

HELP CENTER:

See Band-in-a-Box on the Yahoo! Groups website message archive:

Home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box
or:        http://www.biabgroup.com/

File Archive1: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/files
File Archive2: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box-Files/files
File Archive3: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box-Files2/files

Be sure you are a member each of the three groups so you have access to
all the files.

Newest messages:
* One-message-at-a-time:
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/messages
* Expanded view with many messages at a time:
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/messages?expand=1

Post a message:  Send it as an email to:
mailto:Band-in-a-Box@yahoogroups.com

Contact a moderator:
mailto:Band-in-a-Box-owner@yahoogroups.com

Too much mail?  Change to "Only special notices: Only send
me important update emails from the group moderator." at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/join
... then click the "Save Changes" button

Unsubscribe (see "Too much mail?" above first):
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/join
... and click the "Leave Group" button

Help:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/groups

Manage your subscription by email:
mailto:Band-in-a-Box-help@yahoogroups.com
____________________
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment